| Whiting-Turner Construction Company 300 East Joppa Road Towson, MD Scott Parkinson-Project Manager (410) 821-1100
Cynergy performed a $6.4 million contract for Whiting Turner for the electrical improvements to the Eastern Avenue Pumping Station in the city of Baltimore. The existing electrical systems to the 100-year building were all replaced. The project entailed keeping the existing pumping station operational during the construction process. A new detached generator building was constructed and a new BGE electrical feeder was added to the incoming electrical service.
Principle features of the project were as follows;
- Provide two 2000KW 13000 volt diesel engine generators
- Provide 13.2KV paralleling and distribution switchgear and auxiliaries
- Replace the indoor 13.2KV switchgear and 13.2-2.4KV transformers
- Replace the 2.4KV switchgear and motor control centers
- Provide new station control panels for automatic operation of the station pumps
- Installation of exterior and interior lighting systems
- Provide temporary emergency power during construction, including on-grade engine generators with wiring and accessories
- Replacement of bird proofing system
- Provide manhole and electrical duct-banks
- Provide new 125VBC battery systems for the 13000 volt switchgear
- Provide new 2.4KVcapactors
- Provide new power monitoring and control systems
- Provide a 2000KW 480 volt outdoor load-bank with load-bank control panel
- Provide new power and control wiring and accessories for the equipment
Temporary 4160 volt generator plants had to be installed at two of the locations before the existing system could be removed. This was accomplished by using a 480 volt generator and 2500 KVA step up transformer. Temporary generator controls had to be installed to interface with the existing station switchgear. The generator, switchgear, fuel system, etc. were all connected to the customer’s monitoring system.
Miscellaneous installation items included; fuel day tank, batteries, remote radiator circuits and low voltage circuits to the parasitic equipment in support of the generator, control circuits, etc. Commissioning and field testing were a large component in the project. Third party testing was provided for all medium voltage equipment, generator and cables. Factory field services were provided for the generator. Hands on training, classroom training and operation and maintenance manuals were provided for all operational systems.
Click here to view additional photos for the Eastern Ave Pumping Station Project